Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Scripture Memorization Thoughts, January 2014

This first month of January, I've almost finished memorizing chapters 3 and 4 of Matthew.  It is currently my plan to make it all the way through chapter 7 so that I will go through the Sermon on the Mount.  After that, I think I may skip over to John.
I'm focusing on the gospels to start with, because I want the record of what Jesus said and did to be in my heart.  For me, the whole point of memorizing Scripture is for the same reason that Paul gives for his sufferings,
"...so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."  -- Philippians 3
So far, these are some of the things that have stood out to me this month.

First, when tempted to be discontent about anything, God has brought this verse to my mind.
"Jesus said to him, 'It is written, "Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God."'"
When Jesus said this, he hadn't eaten for over a month.  I can't even fathom that.  What do I have to complain about?  Nothing!  I have the Word of God, which is food for my spirit and nourishment for my soul.

These are the verses I've just finished memorizing:
"Now as Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon who was called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. And He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.' Immediately they left their nets and followed Him. Going on from there He saw two other brothers, James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, in the boat with Zebedee their father, mending their nets; and He called them. Immediately they left the boat and their father, and followed Him." -- Matthew 4:18-21
Finally, one other thing I noticed.  At the beginning of Matthew 3, it says that John the Baptist was preaching, "Repent!  For the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!"  Matthew then quotes a prophecy from Isaiah about John the Baptist.  In the middle of Matthew 4, he again quotes a prophecy from Isaiah, this time about Jesus, and then tells us, "From that time Jesus began to preach and say, 'Repent!  For the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!'"  I wondered when I read this, if I may have stumbled on to a Chiasm?

These are my thoughts so far.  I'll continue to post these monthly.

No comments:

Post a Comment